People also ask

  • Can you rent a council house through a housing association?

  • Housing associations rent their properties through the council and sometimes you can go directly to them. A council tends to offer a Secured Tenancy with a Right To Buy your council house. A Housing Association offer Assured Tenancy agreements and you will usually have a Right To Acquire your home at a discount.

  • How do I apply for council housing?

  • To apply for council housing, you need to fill in an application form, which you can get from the council housing department. You can write, call in or phone to ask for a form. Check your council’s website for contact details. You should be given a leaflet with the form, which explains:

  • How many houses does the Council provide?

  • The Council is the largest provider of social and affordable housing in the area with over 11,300 houses, bungalows, flats and bedsits spread across East Riding of Yorkshire.

  • What are my rights if I rent from the Council in Scotland?

  • If you rent from the council, you will either be a Scottish secure tenant or a short Scottish secure tenant. Scottish secure tenants have strong tenancy rights. There is a right to have certain repairs carried out within set timescales. You will also have the right to pass on your tenancy to family.